Assault Prevention and Intervention
The YWCA of Silicon Valley Support Services Department offers programs about date rape, dating violence, sexual harassment, and self-esteem. Training and education are crucial steps in crisis intervention.
Prevention information and education programs can be scheduled for community organizations, colleges/universities, businesses, social service agencies, neighborhood crime prevention meetings, senior citizen and church groups. In-service training for the professional community on victimology, identifying and reporting child sexual abuse, and crisis intervention are available.
Protection and Safety Tips:
- Educate yourself about the realities of sexual assault. Knowledge can be a powerful tool in abuse prevention!
- Argue against dangerous gender roles and stereotypes that can lead to and perpetuate sexual violence.
- Believe in your right to make choices and decisions about your body and to have those decisions respected.
- Trust your instincts. Pay attention and listen to your “inner voice” that tells you when something is wrong or feels unsafe.
- Communicate physical and sexual boundaries clearly and assertively. Your body belongs to you. You never lose the right to say “no” and can withdraw your consent in a sexual situation at any time.
- Be cautious when choosing to use alcohol or drugs, as they can increase the risk of sexual violence.
- Get involved and participate in the movement against sexual violence.
- Know that sexual assault is never the victim’s fault, regardless of the situation they were in.